List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Bug 42778: Configure backgrounds per monitor in Xinerama mode
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-07-21 21:37:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 21 July 2005 01:15, David Saxton wrote:
> Anyone care to comment on the patch

+   m_numScreens = QApplication::desktop()->numScreens();
+
+   // If ScreenCount returns more than one screen, then the user is not using
+   // xinerama (I think...), so there will be a seperate instance of kdesktop
+   // on each screen, so we only do settings for the current screen
+   Display *dpy = XOpenDisplay(0l);
+   if (dpy && ScreenCount(dpy)>1)
+      m_numScreens = 1;

QDesktop::numScreens() will return the number of Xinerama screens. the way to
detect multihead is to do something like this:

        QCString multiHead = getenv("KDE_MULTIHEAD");
        if (multiHead.lower() == "true")
	{
		// do multihead stuff
	}

it gets really nasty when there is a combination of xinerama and multiscreen
(aka dualhead) are mixed. i don't currently support this in kicker, actually
(much to some people's pissed-offedness)

+   m_Screen = QApplication::desktop()->screenNumber(this);

if you could, pls stick to m_lowerUpper for casing of member variables =)

hm.. and why is there a checkbox for "draw backgrounds per screen"? isn't that
implied by "all screens"?

--
Aaron J. Seigo