List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Against the system:/, media:/ and home:/ namespaces
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2005-07-12 20:47:19

I agree with you.

A question that should have been thought over way before we invented
media:/ (which has its uses, but it's a pain in its current form):

"How hard was it, really, to build intelligence on Konqueror to simply
overlay the proper icon on would-be mountpoints, and mount the disks
when entering them?"

In other words, all Konqueror really needed to do is, upon visiting a
directory, show a different icon for each folder that is a mountpoint
listed on /etc/fstab.  When entering the folder, mount the disk.  When
exiting the folder, do nothing.  Couple that with media removal
notification and hald, and you have your "automatic" mount/umount.

Don't tell me it's hard.  Windows XP has this.  You enter a folder which
is actually mounted from another volume.  Its icon is different.

This would have solved the need for media:/.  Why?  In my case, after
seven years of being a Linux (always) +KDE (sporadically) user, I would
have only needed to go to /mnt (now it's called /media).

Media:/ may sound conceptually clean and cool.  The realities of drag-
and-drop, mount/umount handling, and other small things that have been
accumulating as time has gone by, completely break the conceptual clean-
and-coolness of media:/.

--
Manuel Amador                   <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
http://www.amautacorp.com/            +593 (4) 220-7010