List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Against the system:/, media:/ and home:/ namespaces
From:       Luke Sandell <kdedevel () luketopia ! net>
Date:       2005-07-10 20:22:17

On Wednesday, July 6, 2005 1:20 am, Manuel Amador wrote:
> Is it just me, or someone else in this mailing is feeling a little
> uneasy with the direction Konqueror/KIO is taking?

Yes.

> Why the hell are we moving away from standard UNIX paths, and inventing
> another arcane proprietary path/resource location system?

Because the UNIX filesystem is incomprehensible to the average user. No casual
user is ever going to understand the idea of a single root directory, or the
concept of "mounting" filesystems. Unfortunately, Windows-style drive letters
and synchronous access (that actually works) are probably not going to be
introduced on UNIX anytime soon, and so there is no way to solve this except
abstracting it away.

The organization of the UNIX filesystem is not really much of an issue,
because users generally only care about browsing files in their home
directory. That is why the Home Folder entries were introduced in the
Konqueror sidepane and in the file selection dialog. I would support home:/
if it made sense. Unfortunately, to access my home directory, I would have to
type home:/luke instead of /home/luke, not much of an improvement. Simply
home:/ would make sense.

UNIX will never be a feasible desktop OS until mounting is completely hidden
and transparent to the user. My biggest problem with media:/ is as follows: A
devices should be automatically mounted whenever the user tries to access it
(media:/ has done this) and AUTOMATICALLY UNMOUNTED WHENEVER THE USER IS DONE
ACCESSING IT (media:/ has not done this). There should then be no overlay on
device icons indicated whether they are mounted or unmounted, because user's
don't know about mounting. Of course, this could be done automatically
through something like subfs, autofs, or supermount, but since those tools
don't really work and are not widely utilized, media:/ will probably have to
do this on its own.

Other outstanding issues include

1) mounted filesystems still appear as if they are located on the root device
(e.g. media:/hd0/media/floppy0 contains the contents of media:/fd0)

2) there is no userspace mounting on Linux, even if the user has ownership of
the device node, so hot-pluggable devices cannot be utilized except by first
mounting them as root or setting them up in fstab, which completely defies
the definition of "hot-pluggable". It is also no possible to mount such
things as ISO images in userspace, which if were possible could be a great
feature for KDE.

3) the floppy drive must always appear in media:/ on PC systems, even when no
disk is present, because there is no way to tell if there is one present.
Thus, CD-ROMs and other non-hot-pluggable devices should always appear in
media:/ as well for consistency.

4) it is possible for a PC user to remove a floppy disk before it is
unmounted.

--
Luke Sandell
"Actually, Windows doesn't 'just work' either."