List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Against the system:/, media:/ and home:/ namespaces
From:       Szombathelyi "György" <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2005-07-10 17:21:14

I have some concerns, too and I write them. Maybe there are some ideas which
can be considered.

First of all, I think there should be something that allow easy selection of
system resources, which system:/ tries to do. So it's ok.
What I don't like with current system:
It's not integrated (yet) fully with konqueror and the file selection dialog.
I think it should be the root of the namespace that represents the (file)
system everywhere. E.g the upper level of the file selection dialog should be
the same as you type system:/ in konqueror. The same applies to konqueror,
too.
But to achieve this, the Unix root directory should be listed in system:/,
too.
The storage media section should not be in a seperate folder, but in the
system:/ root directory
And if you click on the 'root directory' or one of the storage media entries,
it should go to the _real_ unix path, e.g. into /media/cdrom, not
system:/cdrom. Ok, this has the problem, that the 'up' button
from /media/cdrom should go back to system:/, not /media.
And finally - there should not be a system:/ It would be good to have fully
integrated, e.g. everything's root should be the same as system:/ means now.

An example of my idea of the content of the root name space (e.g in the root
of the file selection dialog):
Unix root path (or simply /)
Home Folder (/home/gyurco)
Desktop (/home/gyurco/.Desktop)
CD-ROM (/media/cdrom)
DVD-WRITER (/media/dvd)
USB Pen Drive (/media/storage)
Trash
Remote Places
.
.
.
And everything that is integrated now into system:/

Of course, the selection of trash and remote places cannot go to the 'real'
unix path (because there isn't one), but where there's a corresponding path,
it should go there. (The only problem is the 'up' button, some smart
workaround need here.)

It's also confusing when someone can access the same content with two very
different names, one via standard local filesystem, and one via a redirecting
ioslave.

And last: there should be some mechanism for integrating ioslaves/plugins into
this "root" namespace.

Hope I didn't bother much.
György