List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Default Fonts in KDE
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2005-07-05 1:24:09

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 04.Jul 2005 - 13:13:01, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>> 2.) The size of the fonts is to big. I propose to reduce it to
>>> 10points.
>>
>> I don't see the fonts as being too big.  Do you have a 1024x768
>> screen set to 100 DPI?
>

> Nobody should set dpi to anything, except when the XServer cannot
> compute the dpi correctly.

If the Xserver doesn't know the size of the screen you have to set
something.  But that isn't the point.

> For example, I have a laptop display with Size of 332 by 205
> centimeters using 1680x1050, which means 130 dpi. With this a 12pt
> Font is by far too large, I use 8pt for Fonts which is perfect.

If you are using computed resolution, the DPI shouldn't make any difference.

But, what we need to address is the size of your fonts.  Is there some
reason that your fonts are larger for the same size setting, or do you
just like smaller fonts.

I attach a screenshot to which I have added a magenta line which should
be 1 inch.

--
JRT

["KDE-fonts.png" (image/png)]