List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Newbie: Cache disk before reads
From:       Nathan Toone <nathan () toonetown ! com>
Date:       2005-07-01 13:29:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

In order to speed up KDE, you can preload your information.  There is a web
page at http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Performance+Tips#id139336
about directory prescanning.

In this article, it talks about how you can prescan your KDE directories while
KDM is waiting for you to enter in your password.  This is very useful if you
use KDM, which I don't.

I also didn't want to slow down my computer in the name of speeding it up.  So
my solution was to do the preloading while my computer is waiting to get its
DHCP address.  Since this process (getting an IP address) is mainly network
intensive (and doesn't use the disk much), I do the following:

Before getting my IP address, (in an init script) I start doing my preload
with the following command:

    if [ -n "${preload}" ]; then
        find ${preload} >/dev/null 2>&1 &
        preloadpid=$!
    fi

The variable ${preload} is defined as follows:
preload="/home/ntoone/.kde /usr/kde/3.4/share/applications /usr/kde/3.4/share/applnk \
/usr/kde/3.4/share/mimelnk /usr/kde/3.4/share/services /usr/kde/3.4/share/servicetypes \
/usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/share/icons /usr/share/applications /usr/share/lnk \
/usr/share/mimelnk /usr/share/services /usr/share/config /usr/kde/"

Put your own home directory (instead of /home/ntoone) and your own KDE
directory (instead of /usr/kde/3.4)  I found this is the optimal order - but
you can play around with the order as well.

After I get my IP address, I do the following:

            if [ -n "${preload}" ]; then
                kill -9 $preloadpid >/dev/null 2>&1
            fi

because I don't want to keep preloading - you can kill it at any time and have
the benefit of what you've done so far.

Like I said - this works for me - I like it because on my laptop, when I'm
connected to a network, DHCP comes back quickly, so I don't get to entirely
preload KDE.  However, when I'm not connected, DHCP takes a while (5 seconds
or so) to timeout - and I get the entire thing preloaded - so KDE starts
faster (making up for the lost time waiting for a network addres... :) )

I guess you can put these commands anywhere you would like - and you can mess
around with the directories that you put in there as well.

Hope this helps.

-Nathan