List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Brokering between developers and paying customers
From:       Jan de Visser <jdevisser () digitalfairway ! com>
Date:       2005-06-20 15:45:52

On Monday 20 June 2005 09:57, Richard Dale wrote:
> > I can't imagine a software company outsourcing the development of a
> > commercial piece of software to some contractor they met over the web.
>
> Why ever not? If you have a contractor with a web presence, you can read
> their blogs, look at the code they check in, see how well they support the
> users of their software, and see them speak at conferences. And of course
> you can still interview them before awarding their company the work.
>
> Do you really mean that getting a bunch of CVs and scanning for keywords
> like J2EE, Oracle or whatever is a more reliable way to find someone good?

(We're straying way of topic here, but it's fun, so who cares :)

I'm not doubting you can get good quality people over the web, What I'm trying
to say is that, were I to run a company whose business plan involved selling
software for profit, I would be reluctant to outsource the development of my
prime asset to some other entity not bound to my company. I can see getting a
couple of disposable "warm bodies" in to do the grunt work, but I'd like to
keep the major development in-house.

As I said, this is off-topic, since Manuel did not elaborate the level of
people involved in his service.

JdV!!