List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Brokering between developers and paying customers
From:       Jan de Visser <jdevisser () digitalfairway ! com>
Date:       2005-06-20 13:24:54

On Monday 20 June 2005 08:51, Jason Harris wrote:
> Jan de Visser wrote:
> > I would think this is more about in-house applications. If they're not
> > distributed, they can be GPLed.
>
> This is not the case; according to Trolltech, if you use the code in a
> commercial environment to advance your business, you need a commercial
> Qt license, even if you don't distribute the code (or at least, they
> "strongly recommend" it):
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/license_gpl.html#q115

Really? Interesting...

That begs the question: If you would ask my boss, he would probably say that
my work 'advances our business'. I run GPLed Qt and KDE on my desktop. So
does that mean I need a commercial Qt?

I find the choice of words slippery, but would understand 'advancing your
business' as in having direct impact on your bottom line. IMHO time tracking,
reporting, or whatever the hell other tools you can come up with don't.

But then again, IANAL.

> Jason

JdV!!