List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Error compiling kdeartwork SVN TRUNK: You cannot use Qt 4 .ui-files
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2005-06-17 11:29:38

Hello, Everyone :)
When compiling a fresh download of kdeartwork from SVN TRUNK, I got the
following error:
> ERROR:kscreensaver/kdesavers/Makefile.am: Unknown UIC version for /
> home/steve/CVS/KDE-SVN/kdeartwork/kscreensaver/kdesavers/
> firesaversetup.ui. Rerun make -f Makefile.cvs. ERROR:kscreensaver/
> kdesavers/Makefile.am: You cannot use Qt 4 .ui-files with Qt/KDE 3!
> Please use a Qt 4-based build system.

I followed the instructions quoted above, and did the following:
1. Re-ran unsermake -f Makefile.cvs
2. Then attempted to re-run ./configure & unsermake

The result was the same as in the error message quoted above.

I then did "rm -rf kdeartwork/kscreensaver" and then "svn up kdeartwork"
When I attempted to recompile, I still got the same error.

Then I removed "kscreensaver" from "kdeartwork/subdirs" and saved
"kdeartwork/subdirs" as "kdeartwork/inst-apps"  After attempting yet
again to recompile, this time kdeartwork compiled perfectly.  Actually,
I did not wait to see if it would finish or not, for the following
reason: when I first tried all of this on a fresh download of
kdeartwork a few days ago, it compiled fine when I removed
"kscreensaver" from "kdeartwork/subdirs"  Like before, "kdeartwork" is
now compiling just fine.

This is the only module from KDE SVN TRUNK that has this error occur
when compiling.

I am running Fedora Core 3 with all official updates installed.
QT is from a tarball (3.3.4) downloaded from trolltech.com, compiled
with the "configure" options that kde.org reccomends.
When I installed FC3, as always, I chose to install EVERY package.  So
if an RPM came with FC3, I am not missing it.

One frustrating thing about this is that I THINK something like this
happened to me recently while compiling KDE from SVN, or maybe CVS.
But I can find no reference to it by searching google, or the kde-devel
mailing list.

Anything I can do to help, let me know.  Oh yeah, by the way: I have
never even experimented with trolltech's QT 4 release candidate.  Also,
please remember that I get this error over multiple, fresh downloads of
kdeartwork, and that it does not happen with any other kde module.

Steven P. Ulrick