List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CollaborativeRank now works with koders.com
From:       Amir Michail <amichail () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-13 22:58:16

On 6/14/05, Jason Powers <jpowers@incidentreports.com> wrote:

> > That's strange.  It's working fine here.
> >
> > Sometimes we have cgi server problems, but the cgi server seems fine now.
>
> It's not working here, either.  I get the same error as the original reply.

We will look into this.  We have a pair of load-sharing cgi servers.
Maybe one of them was faulty.  Note however that Tom said he can't
connect to www.koders.com either, so perhaps the problem is not on our
side.

In any case, we would like to improve the ranking of search results
even in the case where there is little user input in the form of
ranking suggestions.

Suppose a developer searches for "drag drop" across lots of KDE apps
to find some helpful high quality tutorial-like drag drop code
fragments.  What sort of code fragments would you like the search
engine to rank highly?

One possibility is to rank a code fragment more highly if it occurs in
many applications (possibly with minor variations).  So in the "drag
drop" example, we would rank more highly those drag & drop code
fragments that appear in many KDE apps.  Does that make any sense?

Amir