List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unified document viewer worries
From:       Martin Ellis <martin.ellis () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-06-05 14:34:48

On Sunday 05 Jun 2005 11:09, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> For Kile, being a LaTeX editor, it would be great if there was a single
> viewer that could handle PDF and DVI. I'm all behind this. However, it
> would seriously harm Kile if KDVI dies and we end up with a that viewer
> does not support Inverse/Forward search. From the thread I got the
> feeling that many of the contributors to this thread are simply unaware
> of the Inverse/Forward search feature.

Heh, I think you got the same image reading that thread as I did:
a student who hadn't yet had to write a dissertation would come
along, so not yet realising the value of Forward/Inverse search :o)

(No, that's not a reflection on the actual people involved.  I don't
know them at all.)

I don't use Kile (sorry, preview-latex is just too useful) but for me, the
forward/inverse search is practically *the* reason for kdvi to exist
(and the fact that it's nice and lightweight).

I'd think we shouldn't have to worry too much about this.  Losing that feature
in KDE would be a quite a bad regression, so presumably kdvi wouldn't be
removed until another app. provides that feature as well as kdvi does...?

Martin