List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE developer rankings + some applications
From:       Amir Michail <amichail () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-05 9:13:28

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any interest in a ranking of KDE developers.

Such a ranking might be automatically determined by seeing how
successful their applications have been (e.g., # downloads).  We could
also take into account other factors such as the size and complexity
of the application.

Of course, if an application is built by many developers, we have to
address the credit assignment problem.  Namely, who is primarily
responsible for the success of the application?  We might examine the
CVS repository to see who wrote what.

In any case, once we have this ranking of KDE developers, we could
then consider various applications:

* code search that returns code fragments written by particularly good
developers (e.g., I might search for "drag and drop" across KDE apps
and the most highly ranked drag & drop code fragments returned by the
search would come from expert developers)

* mailing list search that takes into account how good of a developer
the poster is (e.g., I might search for a problem related to drag and
drop and the most highly ranked drag & drop messages returned by the
search would come from expert developers)

Do you think building a ranking of KDE developers would be worthwhile?

Do you think the applications mentioned would be compelling?

Amir