List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Unified document viewer, lack of communication
From:       Stefan Kebekus <stefan.kebekus () math ! uni-koeln ! de>
Date:       2005-06-04 19:51:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Dear Albert, Piotr, dear others who contributed to this thread,

I fear that my point wasn't taken: I absolutely approve if someone like Piotr
with more time will work on a unified viewer, which is badly needed in KDE,
and I don't hate Albert. Also, my point was NOT if one should take one
existing program or the other as a base, or if one API that is documented
already is better than another that will be documented soon.

My point IS that I want to make sure that if someone works on the issue, we
will communicate in order to avoid duplicated work, where eventually
someone's efforts will go to trash. For instance, I have tried hard to
produce a very well-documented API for kviewshell (do "make apidox" in
kdegraphics). That was work that wasn't very fun. If Aaron or Zack would have
sent me a mail some weeks ago, I would have tried to contact anyone who takes
the bounty, and dicuss if I shall still do this, or if we agree on another
API.

Practical example: right now, I wonder if I should go on implementing bookmark
support in KDVI, printing support for DJVUs, or export-to-text for DJVUs,
which someone asked for on this list. Text-to-speech is also trivial to
implement, but shall I do this when I am not sure if my code survives the
next few months? Now I am seriously unsure how I can keep contributing to the
project. I wanted to code DJVU-printing tomorrow. Now what shall I do?

Piotr or anyone else who wants to take the bounty: Please, contact Ablert,
Wilfried and me so that we know what's going on. Then let's have a look
together, and decide what we should do. Apart from a lack of communication, I
am not worried at all and I believe that with our joint efforts we can make a
great, great program.

Someone wrote on this list that either KDVI of KPDF has to die. I disagree.
They will both live, as plugins to a unified document viewer that takes the
best out of the current versions of kviewshell and kpdf. We just have to
agree on an API.

Best,

Stefan.
--