List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Unified document viewer, lack of communication
From:       Stefan Kebekus <kebekus () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-06-04 15:14:28

Hi,

I just learned from Wilfried Huss that you (Aaron Seigion, Zack Rusin) have
posed the "Google Summer of Code" task to write "join the functionality of
KPDF, KGhostview and KDVI in a single shell". I am a little surprised that I,
as the maintainer of KDVI was not informed about this, in particular, since
Wilfried Huss and me have been working on a unified viewer for quite a while
now, and have already produced a good viewer, with a well-documented API that
already supports 3 file types.

Since I have only limited time, I would very much like to support others
working on the problem of a unified viewer. I would like to ask, however,
what will become of my contributions to KDVI. I am working on the project as
a volunteer, and invest a substantial amount of my rare spare time, I am
naturally worried about duplicating functionality in KDE. My motivation to
work for the KDE project would be near zero if I need to fear that one
morning I will have to learn that a student with more time than me re-did all
the programming I did the last months in his summer vacation, and that all my
efforts were worthless, just because someone didn't care enough to write an
e-mail to me explaining their intentions.

Assuming that you are no persons who like to frustrate others, or who simply
don't care, I suggest that we keep in touch, so that duplicated programming
efforts can be avoided. Do you agree to that? Do you believe that we can find
a modus vivendi where everyone can contribute, or do you believe that people
like me who have only limited time should better not work for the KDE
project?

Can we agree on a transition process that will preserve the work that I plan
to do in the next few monthes (good printing support for DJVU, bookmark
support for KDVI (mostly done), some more) will not be lost? Do you already
have a well-documented API that one could use? How much of the API that I
have documented recently do you plan to use?

Do you plan to keep that DCOP-interface of KDVI that is used, e.g. by KILE?
How do you plan to integrate forward/inverse search?

Best,

Stefan.
--
Maintainer of KDVI