List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde-devel Digest, Vol 26, Issue 98
From:       Hongli Lai <h.lai () chello ! nl>
Date:       2005-06-01 11:09:14

carl wrote:
> Good point, but what about backwards compatibility?  When apps become
> un-maintained anymore and the current ABI supported by autopackage is
> replaced by a newer one down the road, the older apps won't work anymore.
> Right?

I don't understand what you mean. What do you mean by "the current ABI
supported by autopackage is replaced"? If you mean support for
automatically selecting different ABIs: I don't think we'll remove
support for a certain ABI unless we have a good reason to do so.
In case of open source apps, you don't have to worry about this too much
because you can just recompile the source and create a new package.