List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Region Of =?utf-8?b?VMODwrxya2l5ZQ==?=
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2005-05-30 20:44:54

Dnia poniedziaƂek 30 maj 2005 13:50, dirk.schoenberger@sz-online.de
napisaƂ:
> > Right. I moved Turkey to the Middle East category when I created it,
> > because
> > that is where Turkey belongs from my western point of view. The
> > important point of view is however where they expect to find
> > themselves. With G??rkems
> > request I will move it to Southern Europe.
>
> Does there exist a "Near East" category? This is wher I would put Turkey
> into.
> And is there a distinction between "South Europe" and "South-East
> Europe"?

As a student of history working on Baghdad Railway.

Near East in English is north-west Africa. Very rarely used term, this
region is more often referred as Maghreb.

Middle East is from Egypt, Arabia, Syria (including Israel and
Palestine), Asia Minor, Iraq, Iran.

Central Asia are post USSR republics - Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan,
Kirgistan, Tajikistan, sometimes Afghanistan is included.

Far East is everything more to the east but usually excluding India and
sometimes Pakistan as subcontinent.

Note: in Central and especially Eastern Europe what is called in English
as Middle East is referred as "Bliski Wschod" - Near East. But when
using English proper term is "Middle East". Historically for Englishmen
Near East was Maroco, Algieria, Tunis and Libia.

South-East Europe is just another (correct) name for Balkans.

m.

Vim Universal Templates
CLEWN - http://clewn.sf.net