List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Region Of Turkiye
From:       Enver ALTIN <ealtin () parkyeri ! com>
Date:       2005-05-29 20:16:54

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hey David,

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 20:59 +0100, David Jarvie wrote:
> Shifting it from Middle East to Europe would, I suspect, be a
> politically motivated move. If and when Turkey actually is admitted to
> the European Union, there would be good arguments for moving it. But
> until that actually happens, I don't see that that is justified. There
> is quite a bit of opposition to Turkey joining Europe (human rights
> record, historical enmities, and no doubt simple prejudice also). I
> really think that KDE should avoid making any changes which are
> clearly political, to avoid potentially antagonising users. The only
> change which I think could be reasonably supported based on the
> current political and geographical status quo would be to place Turkey
> in both Europe AND Middle East regions, since geographically it *does*
> exist in both.

I don't think turning this little problem to a political issue is going
anywhere good at all.

See it this way: If you ask this very same question to a million Turkish
people from walking on the streets of different cities, 90% of them
would prefer their country to be included in Europe category. If they
are looking for their country in a categorized list, the very first
place they look at will be Europe.

Let them be happy.

Thanks,
--=20