List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Region Of T?rkiye
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-05-29 19:59:22

On Sunday 29 May 2005 19:36, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday 29 May 2005 19:10, David Jarvie wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 May 2005 02:21, S.?a?lar Onur wrote:
> > > In KDE, Türkiye defined in middleeast region ( l10n/tr/entry.desktop,
> > > Region=middleeast ) which is not correct. It's lying partly in Asia and
> > > partly in Europe.
> > >
> > > So if you accept, i want to suggest changing the region of Türkiye to
> > > Europe where the area Turkish people belongs.
> >
> > Since only a small part of Turkey is in Europe, it hardly seems
> > appropriate to classify it simply as in the Europe region. Most of it,
> > including its capital, is in Asia.
>
> If I remember correctly most part of the Russion territory is on the Asian
> continent while Russia is definitely considered a European country :)

But in its case, its historical origins and its power centres are in Europe.
That is not the case with Turkey, although you might argue that its past
occupation of the Balkans gave it more of a European orientation, of course.

Shifting it from Middle East to Europe would, I suspect, be a politically
motivated move. If and when Turkey actually is admitted to the European
Union, there would be good arguments for moving it. But until that actually
happens, I don't see that that is justified. There is quite a bit of
opposition to Turkey joining Europe (human rights record, historical
enmities, and no doubt simple prejudice also). I really think that KDE should
avoid making any changes which are clearly political, to avoid potentially
antagonising users. The only change which I think could be reasonably
supported based on the current political and geographical status quo would be
to place Turkey in both Europe AND Middle East regions, since geographically
it *does* exist in both.

Cheers,
David.