List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Calling all KDE devs! Autopackage needs your help!
From:       carl <sleepkreep () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-29 18:35:23

On Sunday 29 May 2005 1:03 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> carl wrote:
> >Here's the problem, since different distros use different versions of
> > gcc, some binaries (mainly kdelibs) are not compatible with other
> > binaries compiled with a different version of gcc.  This is actually
> > not a problem with GNOME.  However KDELIBS are a major issue.  The
>
> The solution is simple: make sure all C++ programs are compiled with the
> same g++ ABI and linked to the same libstdc++.
>
> How autopackage plans to enforce that, I don't know. Maybe you can tell
> all packagers, "use g++ 3.4.x and no other, don't use the -fabi option,
> nor -fvisibility".

Unfortunately it's not that simple.  We don't know what version of gcc KDELIBS
was compiled with.  Many different distributions mean many different compiler
versions which means we can't anticipate which ABI to use.  It's important to
remember that autopackage is not intending to replace RPM.  Merely offer a
way to distribute 3rd party precompiled packages that will work for any
distro.  On the system level, RPM is still perfectly valid.  And also we
would run into backward compatibility issues if we said 'everybody use gcc
3.3.4' and so on.  The best solution is to use xdeltas to install the proper
binaries.  Mike of autopackage can go into more detail about that than I can.
But he needs help since he really isn't much of a KDE developer.