List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: libkopete/avdevice
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-27 23:43:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Luke-Jr wrote:
>> Yes. All distributions should have sanitised kernel headers.
>
>And where should these 'sanitised' headers come from?

Most distributions already keep a local copy of sanitised headers. As far
as I know, there is no central "sanitised kernel headers project" -- just
distributions exchanging patches against some kernel release or another.

The URL for the PLD's sanitised version was posted to this list last time
this subject came up.

>> At least some of them do, since they are included by glibc's standard
>> headers.
>
>glibc is also a C library-- no reason to expect it to work in C++, is
> there?

There is, since the standard C++ headers (cstdlib, cstddef, etc.) include
the glibc headers. So, yes, the glibc headers must be C++ compatible.

Fortunately, they are, even to the point of adding throw() for the
function declarations.

>> If we should be including them in our programs, that's another story.
>> Personally, I much prefer copying the relevant structures and
>> constants into a private header.
>
>Sounds like a good solution. In the meantime, where should I get a
> working header from?

The archives for kde-devel has the URL. I don't remember it by heart.

However, I do think it still contained variables named "new".

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.