List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Additional QImage attributes,
From:       Brad Hards <bradh () frogmouth ! net>
Date:       2005-05-23 10:21:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Fri, 20 May 2005 01:01 am, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> well - not really a patch but an addition - the attached files add read
> support for the Radiance HDR image file format to kimgio.
>
> That format is similar to the already supported OpenEXR and widely used
> for HDRI light probes.  Example images can be found on:
Question: have you looked at the Qt4 QImageIOHandler class? If so, can you
advise if there is anything that Radiance HDR might make use of that isn't
present?

For example, EXR image conversion to 8bit/channel requires screen gamma,
exposure and defog, plus a knee-high and knee-low position. Qt3 really only
provides gamma. Qt4 is more extensible, and QImageIOHandler::ImageOption is a
good start, but I think it needs more (plus matching changes to QImageReader
and QImageWriter). I don't think that changes can be justified for EXR, but
if there was something common with Radiance HDR and perhaps some other
formats, maybe that would be worth it?

The changes I'm thinking of are:
the exposure setting (a float)
whether to write the image with a thumbnail or not (a bool)

and perhaps some additional attributes, such as white luminance (float),
chromaticitiies, capture date (a QDate)

Your thoughts?

Brad