List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: what happened to the subdir ~/admin
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulricksteven () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-13 11:00:34

anon anon anon anon yous005 23:25:09 +0100
Zé <mmodem00@netvisao.pt> wrote:

> Em Segunda, 9 de Maio de 2005 15:51, Thiago Macieira escreveu:
> > Zé wrote:
> > >I just download svn branch 3_4_0 and i see that the subdir admin
> > >doesn't
> > > exist anymore in modules.
> > >
> > >Whats happening?
> >
> > I see the property there:
> > $ svn pg svn:externals
> > https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.4/kdelibs
> > admin https://svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.4/kde-common/admin
> >
> > Are you sure you did the checkout correctly?
>  As i remember the subdir /admin exists in all modules, and without
> it is impossible to build kde modules.
> I don't ever remember to see the admin subdir inside another dir like
> ur saying inside /kde-common
> --
> Zé
> Linux user #378762

Hello, Everyone
When I first started using anonymous svn to get KDE from the trunk, I
had the same problem.  At first I just downloaded kde-common and linked
kde-common/admin to each KDE module.  That worked perfectly.
Now, this is the part I want everyone to hear: very shortly after
anonymous svn access started, and I had to go through what I went
through to compile KDE from SVN, svn started grabbing the "admin"
directory FROM kde-common and placing it in the root of each module -
automatically.
For example, if I run
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdeaddons

I then get the following, automatically, at the end:
Fetching external item into 'kdeaddons/admin'
A  kdeaddons/admin/config.pl
A  kdeaddons/admin/Doxyfile.am
A  kdeaddons/admin/mkinstalldirs
<-- snipped -->
A  kdeaddons/admin/configure.in.bot.end
A  kdeaddons/admin/install-sh
A  kdeaddons/admin/ylwrap
 U kdeaddons/admin
Checked out external at revision 413098.

Checked out revision 413097.

The original poster apparently wants the 3.4.0 branch:
> I just download svn branch 3_4_0 and i see that the subdir admin
> doesn't exist anymore in modules.

If I run:
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/3.4/kdeaddons

I automatically get the following:
Fetching external item into 'kdeaddons/admin'
A  kdeaddons/admin/config.pl
A  kdeaddons/admin/Doxyfile.am
A  kdeaddons/admin/mkinstalldirs
<-- snipped -->
A  kdeaddons/admin/configure.in.bot.end
A  kdeaddons/admin/install-sh
A  kdeaddons/admin/ylwrap
 U kdeaddons/admin
Checked out external at revision 413099.

Checked out revision 413097.

Further, if I run:
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/tags/KDE/3.4.0/kdeaddons

I automatically get the following:
Fetching external item into 'kdeaddons/admin'
A  kdeaddons/admin/config.pl
A  kdeaddons/admin/Doxyfile.am
A  kdeaddons/admin/mkinstalldirs
<-- snipped -->
A  kdeaddons/admin/configure.in.bot.end
A  kdeaddons/admin/install-sh
A  kdeaddons/admin/ylwrap
 U kdeaddons/admin
Checked out external at revision 413099.

So I think what Thiago is trying to say is that unless a persons
installation is messed up, svn automatically grabs the admin directory
from the appropriate version of kde-common.  I know for a fact that
this is my experience, since I had to manually link kde-common/admin
when I first used anonymous svn for KDE, but a few days (if that) after
anonymous service started, svn started grabbing the admin directory for
me, with absolutely no change on my end of the command that I used to
grab a particular module.

So as far as I can see, the former issue of the missing "admin"
directory has been fixed since a few days after anonymous svn access was
first rolled out.  Again, all seems to work seamlessly now.

Have a Great Day :)
Steven P. Ulrick