List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Unicode and KHTMLPart
From:       "Abdalla S. Alothman" <abdalla () pheye ! net>
Date:       2005-05-02 10:36:39

Hello,

I  did an upgrade  from KDE  3.0.X to  3.2 and  then to  3.4. I  had a
problem with the KHTMLPart (and Konqueror [web browser]) not rendering
right-to-left UTF-8 lines properly. As an example:

This is a test

is rendered as:

tThis is a tes

Prior to  the two  upgrades, everything was  working fine.  Also, that
problem  is  not  only  limited  to  the  application  that  uses  the
KHTMLPart,  same  applies  to  Konqueror  when  viewing  right-to-left
documents on  the web. Viewing the  lines (a collection  of reports in
HTML format) in Kate for normal editing also produces this problem.

Interestingly, and as  a workaround, fixing the reports  viewed in the
KHTMLPart  with a  CSS stylesheet,  adding: direction:rtl;,  fixes the
problem.  But I  think proper  rendering should  be done  without CSS,
right?

GTK's same component, Galeon and Firefox do not have this problem.

Does anyone know what's causing this to happen?

Wishing you peace and good health.

Peace,
Abdalla