List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Multiple desktop icons - only one desktop file
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulricksteven () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-27 12:41:32

Hello, Everyone
Has anyone seen anything like this:
Here is a screenshot of my desktop the way it looks before this issue happens:
http://www.afolkey2.net/KDE_CVS-HEAD_IconIssue-1.jpg

1. I dragged my "Home" icon from the task bar (that may be the wrong term)
onto the desktop and I clicked "Copy"  As you can see in the following
screenshot, there is only one additional icon, and it is named "Home"  This
is as expected.
http://www.afolkey2.net/KDE_CVS-HEAD_IconIssue-2.jpg

2. I renamed it to reflect a "View Profile" that I had created.  You will
notice in the following screenshot that the "Home" icon is now named
"KDE-CVS"  But, you will further notice, that there are now TWO icons with
that name on the desktop.  I only put one of them there, and there is only
one *.desktop file in my ~/Desktop directory.  I did Nothing to create this
second "KDE-CVS" icon except to hit the enter key on my keyboard after I
renamed the icon.
http://www.afolkey2.net/KDE_CVS-HEAD_IconIssue-3.jpg

3. I right clicked, then went to "Properties | Application" to put the name of
my "View Profile" in the place of the default one that is associated with my
"Home" icon.  When I clicked "OK",  two more Identical icons appeared, for a
grand total of Four.  Again, only one  *.desktop file in my ~/Desktop
directory.
http://www.afolkey2.net/KDE_CVS-HEAD_IconIssue-4.jpg

4. After I made my change and clicked "OK", three more Identical icons
appeared on my desktop, in addition to the one that I had just edited to
reflect my custom "View Profile"  There are now Six identical icons, but still
only one *.desktop file.
http://www.afolkey2.net/KDE_CVS-HEAD_IconIssue-5.jpg

5. Then, I just went through the steps that I went through to change the
command associated with the desktop file (I right clicked on only one of the
Six icons), but I changed nothing.  When I clicked "OK", two more icons
appeared for a grand total of eight.
http://www.afolkey2.net/KDE_CVS-HEAD_IconIssue-6.jpg

The reason that I tried that step again was because before I started taking
screenshots so I could report this, I did what I described in step 5, but
when I clicked OK, immediately, EVERY icon on my desktop received a double!
I wish I could get a screenshot of that again, but I have not been able to.

6. Then I  right clicked on One of the eight "KDE-CVS" icons, and chose to
move it to the trash.  When I clicked OK, the screen goes black, (I would
assume that the desktop crashed) and then is almost immediately redrawn with
all eight "KDE-CVS" icons now gone.  Remember, I put One on the desktop,
ended up with Eight, and when I deleted one of the eight icons, the screen
goes black, and comes right back up with none of the "KDE-CVS" icons on it.
http://www.afolkey2.net/KDE_CVS-HEAD_IconIssue-7.jpg

Because of the new test built into "configure" in KDE from CVS-HEAD, I did a
completely fresh download of all 19 modules that I keep updated and I
recompiled it using "gcc-3.4.3-22.fc3"  So far I have only gotten kdelibs and
kdebase compiled and installed.  (The version I HAD been compiling with was
"gcc4-4.0.0-0.41.fc3"  I have had no problems at all compiling KDE with that
version.)  This issue started Before I started recompiling my fresh download
of KDE from CVS-HEAD with the older version of gcc.

I am running Fedora Core 3, all official updates installed.  My QT is the
latest stable version from TrollTech, installed in a different path than the
version that ships with FC3.  The same is true of my KDE from CVS-HEAD.  It
is installed on a different path than the FC3 version.  Also, I compile and
install using "unsermake"

If you have any questions for my, feel free to let me know.  I am here to
help :)

Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: Could this be related to a similar issue that I had been having (it
started at the same time) in Konqueror, where I would get multiple icons for
one directory?  In that case, though, if I clicked on the "+" on one of the
"multiple" directories to expand it, I just got a "-"  There was nothing in
it.  If that happens again, I will get screenshots.