List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: scons as a build system for kdegames
From:       <tnagyemail-ml () yahoo ! fr>
Date:       2005-04-29 14:30:13

Hello,

The system suggested already creates .la files in
order to satisfy klibloader (klibloader has always
refused to load .so libraries directly - I assume that
this is a feature ? :)

Scons has great support for many Unix platforms like
hpux, aix, sunos, darwin and it is especially well
tested on win32 platforms (though i am not for porting
kde to those platforms in the first place). Python 1.5
is needed for running Scons.

Regards,
Thomas

--- David Faure <faure@kde.org> a écrit:
> On Friday 29 April 2005 10:58, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Am Freitag 29 April 2005 10:51 schrieb David
> Faure:
> > > Sure python is installed. But how does a build
> system which doesn't create .la files
> > > manage portability on systems where .la files
> are needed, e.g. for dlopening,
> > > including dependent libraries (which are usually
> listed in the .la file)?
> > Sure it can't do that? .la files are really pretty
> easy to write. Dependent libraries
> > in .la files are only really needed when linking
> statically - and we do not support
> > that anyway. So you would need to write out .la
> files to please lt_dlopen.
>
> Ah I see. Didn't realize that you can write .la
> files by hand without using libtool.
>
> > > scons is probably great on linux and *BSD, but
> did anyone try it on the
> > > more "exotic" platforms that KDE supports?
> > >
> > Like Windows? I heared rumours ;)
>
> I was more thinking of Mac OS X, and yes, AIX and
> HP-UX.
>
> > I'm also very interested in hearing problems with
> it on AIX and HP-UX, but I'm
> > afraid we will hear after 4.0 about these problems
> ;(
>
> Yeah.
>
> --

/* Thomas Nagy */