On 4/16/05, Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > On Saturday 16 April 2005 12:08, LiuCougar wrote: > > currently, the applet communicates with skim using dcop and it > > contains several dcop signals/slots, > > was it designed this way for flexibility, or to keep the actual work in it's > own process to avoid blocking the UI? if the latter, would it make sense to > use threads here? I admit the main concern is the former one. > > > it could be either. you could launch a new process or create a window in > > > the same process. > > > > I assumed that the "reparent" window referred to QWidget::reparent(), > > yes, that's what i was originally refering to. it would be an easy way to get > a floating input window. Then could you enlighten me how can I reparent a qwidget to another qwidget in another process? > > > this would be highly limited in capability unless we use XEmbed which is > > > not something i'm interested in doing. > > > > Then in your proposal, applet is still a part of kicker process, right? > > yes. kicker really needs to be able to work with the applets directly. > > the only downside to this is GUI responsiveness due to having so much > happening in the same event loop. usually this isn't much of an issue since > most applets just sit there waiting for user input. but when you get a lot of > applets in a bunch of panels you can sometimes see the effects of this > design. but there are even common cases, such as launching an application, > that can trigger event loop pauses that make the GUI unresponsive. > > i've started to look at using threads determine if it is at all practical or > beneficial. unfortunately even in Qt4 you can only have one GUI thread which > removes some possibilities (e.g. running each applet in its own thread) ... > but we'll see. i'm thinking that at least it should be possible to put things > like the app launching and other non-GUI but potentially pause-inducing > actions into one or more threads. I do think if there are some heavy procedure in an applet, then it can implement its own thread if wanted. Regards, Cougar -- "People's characters are strengthened through struggle against difficulties; they are weakened by comfort." - Old Chinese adage >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<