On 4/16/05, Fred Schaettgen wrote: > On Saturday, 16. April 2005 03:48, Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > > On Friday 15 April 2005 06:54, LiuCougar wrote: > > > What I am working on is a program called skim ( http://www.scim-im.org > > > is the main project homepage ). Basically, it is an input method which > > > is required for users from China, Japan, Korea etc to input their > > > native languages. > > > > ok, fair enough. thanks for the explanation. > > > > would it make sense to JUST have an applet and forget the system tray icon > > all together? would make things a lot simpler, no? if the user wishes to > > make the toolbar float, the applet can just undock the widget itself and > > reparent it (in-process even) to another window. the status icon can be a > > part of the applet, ensuring there's always some useful bit of GUI there. > > Would it be possible to make applets detachable from the main kicker in > general to place them somewhere on the screen? > This way kicker would still be in control, so all undocked applets could be > raised, hidden etc. together with a single click or keypress. It was > requested several times for styleclock already, and most certainly for many > other applets too. With OS X Tiger's "Dashboard", demand for this will grow > even more. We have the applets already, it's just an additional placement- > and hiding policy - and transparency, of course. Hm, that's not what you call > "Extenders" on http://aseigo.bddf.ca/cms/1267, or is it? > Not sure if this would be sufficient for skim though. I didn't quite > understand why the whole thing can't be an applet. Because it requires a lot of other logic/codes, and skim has its own plugin system. What's more, if user does not have kicker running, he can still use skim as a standalone app. -- "People's characters are strengthened through struggle against difficulties; they are weakened by comfort." - Old Chinese adage >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<