On 4/15/05, Aaron Seigo wrote: > On April 15, 2005 21:18, LiuCougar wrote: > > What if I have an app which does not have task bar entry, but requires > > a system tray icon and another kicker panel applet to ahieve more > > advanced features (docking the main window of my app to the kicker, > > which is an existing feature in windows XP). > > > > It seems to me that this is not possible in the new model. Or am I wrong? > > no, this will still be possible. you don't need a GUI or a visible window. you > will create a KSomeOtherTray ;) object and give it an icon and connect to > some signals. it will then communicate via X atoms (or perhaps at some point > an IPC mechanism like DCOP/DBUS) to the consumer (in this case kicker) which > will then show the icon. > > your application will recieve events like "show your context menu now, please" > and "ok, show your main window!" Thanks for the explanation. I do like the idea > > I really do not like QXEmbed class: it requires a lot of hack to work > > as expected; but I have to use it in my app to implement the applet I > > mentioned above... > > yep. i too dislike XEmbed for these tasks. which is the whole reason for the > push away from it here ;) Can I use the new mechanism in kicker applet? I'd like to be able to replace QXEmbed class with a more friendly one. > > (I can not post to kde-core-devel, so I have to post it here) > > you can post to k-c-d, it just needs to get approved by the moderators. as > long as it's on topic, it'll get through, no worries =) That needs moderators' intervention, so will delay the post of this email. Anyway, thanks for your hints. Regards, Cougar -- "People's characters are strengthened through struggle against difficulties; they are weakened by comfort." - Old Chinese adage >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<