List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on the systray II.
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-15 21:27:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On April 15, 2005 21:18, LiuCougar wrote:
> What if I have an app which does not have task bar entry, but requires
> a system tray icon and another kicker panel applet to ahieve more
> advanced features (docking the main window of my app to the kicker,
> which is an existing feature in windows XP).
>
> It seems to me that this is not possible in the new model. Or am I wrong?

no, this will still be possible. you don't need a GUI or a visible window. you
will create a KSomeOtherTray ;) object and give it an icon and connect to
some signals. it will then communicate via X atoms (or perhaps at some point
an IPC mechanism like DCOP/DBUS) to the consumer (in this case kicker) which
will then show the icon.

your application will recieve events like "show your context menu now, please"
and "ok, show your main window!"

> I really do not like QXEmbed class: it requires a lot of hack to work
> as expected; but I have to use it in my app to implement the applet I
> mentioned above...

yep. i too dislike XEmbed for these tasks. which is the whole reason for the
push away from it here ;)

> (I can not post to kde-core-devel, so I have to post it here)

you can post to k-c-d, it just needs to get approved by the moderators. as
long as it's on topic, it'll get through, no worries =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric