List:       kde-devel
Subject:    `make install' sometimes recompiles many sources again - why ?
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2005-04-10 8:57:54

Hi!
  For a long time, I'm curious about the following question:
  I do a CVS update of some package, recompile it using make and then try to
install with make install. I think that the package now should just install;
however, in many times, it starts to recompile the code again, which is totally
useless because it just has been recompiled with make. And the question is:
Why this happens, and can it be avoided ?
  There are NO time skews during the process.
  There are NO updates/source touching during the process.
  The date/time settings of the machine is CORRECT, as well as date/time of
all the sources.
  Some packages are not doing it often, but another ones (kdepim, for example)
are doing it almost certainly.
  BTW when I do make install again, it is NOT recompiling anymore.
  I don't want to just make install, because I dont' want to have a partially
reinstalled package in the case of a compilation error.
  I'm using gmake-3.80.
  Any clues/help ?
                      With regards, Pavel Troller