List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: A search service for KDE
From:       Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch () ttgen ! net>
Date:       2005-04-03 12:26:36

Manuel Amador <rudd-o <at> amautacorp.com> writes:

> Thanks, but do not get your hopes up so much right now.  Here's what is
> done:
>
> - file plugin interface (with KDE's KFile abstraction, for plugin
> writers)

What does your interface to extract fulltext data look like? AFAIK the kfile
plugins don't support this at the moment, do they?

It looks like quite a lot of people are working on new search tools for KDE at
the moment, so it could be helpful to factor out parts which can be shared
among these tools. I guess it will be pretty hard to agree on a common indexing
backend, because most solutions tend to have rather heavy dependencies.

But one part which could be more easily shared among different search tools is
the set of plugins to extract text from different file types.
The interface for these plugins should become part of kdelibs. Then we could do
slow searches over various file types with kfind in KDE 3.5, while those
projects which want to offer more sophisticated search functionality could
simply use the the plugins shipped with KDE and concentrate on the more
interesting parts.

Fred