List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Anoncvs -> SVN
From:       Alan Chandler <alan () chandlerfamily ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-04-01 17:08:57

On Friday 01 April 2005 17:23, Jonas Widarsson wrote:

> I read the complete "svn book" some months ago.
> They never mention such a thing as working directory database recovery.

Thats because there isn't one.  The working directory is the source files plus
a .svn directory at each directory level with some information in and the
pristine files at the point of last checkout for all the files in that
directory

This .svn local directory causes a problem if you also want to use a local(ish
- could be remote) separate svn to manage your own updates before syncing
with the main kde repository.

To overcome that, look at svk.  That effectively changes the client end of svn
so that instead of storing the pristine sources in .svn directories, you
effectively store them inside a local file based svn repository in
~/.svk/local which then has a logical link back to the kde remote repository
(see svk mirror and svk sync commands).

You then use svn's cheap copy capability to make a second version of the
source in this local repository which you check in and out to make your local
modifications to it.  There is an svk command (smerge) to merge the two
directories in this local repository back together when its time to pass your
updates back to the central kde repository.

> However, it is written all over the place that a repository must not be
> _mounted_ across a network and any talk about corrupt databases are
> regarding berkely db repositories:

Thats because svn supports two sorts of repositories.  Remote ones, and local
file based ones.  It is refering to either

a) local file based ones, where the client side library is writing the file,
and could get corrupted when running across and nfs network, or

b) the remote repository code, which then is writing to a local file on a
remote machine, which again must not work across a network

This has NOTHING to do with an svn client (or a svk one) talking to the remote
kde repository across the network.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk