List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig bindings for mono (C#)?
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-04-01 10:02:22

On Friday 01 April 2005 04:34, Jon Walker wrote:
> I am looking at accessing KConfig using mono (specifically C#). I saw
> the Q# project when I did a quick search but didn't see any KConfig
> bindings. Do they exist? If so, what are my options?
>
> Also, which mono binding for QT should I be using in general? I seem to
> remember a slashdot post about a few different options, but Q# was the
> only one I ran across. I did see that it requires something called QTC
> which is part of kdebindings. Is this something that comes by default
> with major distributions? Sorry for all the questions, but I am not an
> experienced QT developer (I have done a little QT development though) so
> I am just trying to find my way.
I removed the QtC bindings from the CVS about a year ago. The version of Qt#
that used them is dead. I don't know if Adam Treat is still working on C#
bindings - he posted a mail on the kde-bindings list a few months back,
saying he'd  come up with a new idea for wrapping C#. He had kde# bindings
down on the KDE 3.4 release plan, so I don't know what happened.

I did start on Qt/KDE bindings called 'Kimono' using the language independent
Smoke bindings library, and there is an '-fkimono' option to the kalyptus
bindings generator tool still in the cvs. The Qt# guys weren't interested in
collaborating on that, and I've been too busy with ruby bindings recently -
I've pretty much given up on it.

It is technically possible to wrap KConfigXT classes for language bindings,
and I've done that for ruby. There is a ruby KConfigXT project template in
KDevelop 3.2.0, and a rbkconfig_compiler utility to compile .xfcg files to
ruby code.

-- Richard