List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Owner drawn items
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-31 18:01:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On March 31, 2005 17:51, Alan Bryan wrote:
> I was curious as to if QT supported owner drawn
> buttons, menus, etc... from derived classes to give my
> application a custom look and feel.

for many widgets, yes.. but in practice this can be tricky at times. generally
you need to reimplement the paintEvent() method, though some widgets have
additional methods that are used as well.

> Also, is this a good practice when coding KDE
> applications, since KDE supports skins?

it's generally frowned upon because consistency between applications is seen
as a benefit, and breaking that consistency is almost always bad for
usability.

do you mind if i ask why you want a "distinct" look for the menus and buttons
in your application?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric