List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Proxy configuration variables
From:       David =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F3mez?= <david.gomez () tecsidel ! es>
Date:       2005-03-31 16:04:44

Hi Thiago ;),

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 12:46 -0300, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Well, the httpProxy in kioslaverc is what kio_http uses to find its
> proxies. However, that's not the only proxy used in KDE: we also have a
> global SOCKS proxy (kdeglobals, I think. I'm not even sure).

I was too generic, sorry. When i said proxies, i meant http proxies.

> For KDE4, we will have a global HTTP proxy as well. This has been in my
> plans for quite a while.

Good to know it.

> Finally, you must bear in mind that KDE config files are cascaded. The
> config itself is the result of the union of all config files ($KDEDIRS:
> $KDEHOME), plus the defaults. So, not only do you have to read
> ~/.kde/share/config/kioslaverc, you have to make sure $KDEHOME is ~/.kde
> and you have to read $KDEDIRS/share/config/kioslaverc for every dir in
> $KDEDIRS (kde-config --prefix if it's empty).

Thanks for the advice, i didn't know that. I'll take care of reading all
the kioslaverc files.

> Parsing KDE config without KConfig is not easy and is very error-prone.
> Can't we convince you to use libkdecore?

:). It's not my choice ;). We need to use relaytool (part of the
autopackage project), and as of know it doesn't works with C++
libraries. Maybe if it supports C++ in the future, using libkdecore and
libkio would be a good change.

> PS: it might be an interesting idea to create a kde-config-like program
> that does config reading and is liked to libkdecore.

Doesn't already exists a "kconfigeditor"?

Thanks a lot for your help, Thiago.

cheers,