List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SVK and Subversion
From:       Kevin Puetz <puetzk () puetzk ! org>
Date:       2005-03-26 17:49:28

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Robert Rockers wrote:
>>I got a question about the future move to Subversion.  Is there a reason
>> we didn't look at SVK (http://svk.elixus.org/)?
>
> I think we did and found it not to be as stable and mature as Subversion.

It's newer, and pursuing a more complex model than the cvs/svn 'snapshots of
trees'; so I guess it's less mature more or less by definition :-) But I've
not had any real stability problems with it, and in any case the underlying
repository is calls into the svn libraries, so once committed stuff should
be as safe as plain svn.

Any bloopers svk is going to make will be made when it's trying to do things
automatically in it's working copy library that svn would make you do
manually. So it's not *that* risky - most users aren't all that reliable
either, even by software standards :-)

"The computer allows you to make mistakes faster than any other invention,
with the possible exception of handguns and tequila." --Mitch Ratcliffe

> It looks like a big hack on top of Subversion for me.

It's on top of subversion indeed, but I don't know that I'd call it a big
hack. Subversion is pretty well factored into modules, and svk is a
reimplementation of the the working copy interface with a full repository
behind it. It fits in pretty well, and gives another one of svn's
interfaces a real-world use  (in the sense that no interface is really
tested until there are two funamentally different implementations of it).

libsvn_fs_* -> libsvn_fs_bdb, libsvn_fs_fs
libsvn_ra_* -> libsvn_ra_local, libsvn_ra_dav, libsvn_svn
libsvn_wc -> libwvn_wc, SVK::XD

> Anyways, our using of a Subversion repository doesn't preclude you from
> using SVK on your end. It works fine with Subversion servers.

Indeed. Even if KDE really was planning to push the use of svk, there
wouldn't be anything different to do on the server side of things.