List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KTTS Notification Enhancements
From:       Gunnar Schmi Dt <gunnar () schmi-dt ! de>
Date:       2005-03-27 13:49:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello,

On Saturday 26 March 2005 18:03, Gary Cramblitt wrote:
> I'm planning some enhancements for KDE Text-to-Speech for KDE
> notifications.
>[...]
> When user clicks the Add button, I need to display a list of apps and
> the notification events they expose, which is just like the top half of
> the KNotifyWidget in Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> System
> Notifications.  Trouble is, I need just the top half, i.e., the app
> combo and listview of events.
> [...]

Just a quick note:

The cleanest way in the user interface would be to integrate the
text-to-speech functionality into the "Sound & Multimedia -> System
Notifications" configuration, i.e., offer "Speak" as one of the
notification mechanisms (besides "Play a sound", "Show a message" etc.).

However, as this will break BC for the notification system this would have
to wait for KDE 4.

> Alternative 2 might break whenever the KNotifyWidget interface changes,
> while Alternative 1 could be disruptive to every app that has a
> notification settings dialog.  The classic "break an object into pieces"
> conundrum.

For KDE 3.5 your alternative 2 sounds more realistic, as the KNotifyWidget
interface is frozen for the lifetime of KDE 3.x. For KDE 4.0 we want to
add the system bell to KNotify, so we can at that time also add kttsd in a
clean way.

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package