List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Possible scanning related bug - CVS HEAD
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2005-03-26 12:47:29

Hello, Everyone
I have just discovered this interesting issue while scanning with Kooka from
CVS HEAD.  To save everyone's time, I will get right into it in a step by
step list:
1. Scan an image (using kooka from CVS HEAD) at a resolution of 300 (saved as
jpeg) - Resulting filesize: 444.4 KB
2. When I open it up in the GIMP and do "image | Scale Image", the resolution
is listed as 72.000
3. Scan an image (using kooka from CVS HEAD) at a resolution of 50 (saved as
jpeg) - Resulting filesize: 23.7 KB
4. When I open it up in the GIMP and do "image | Scale Image", the resolution
is listed as 72.000

In all of my experience with using this scanner, everything that I scan using
kooka comes out at 72dpi.  You may ask, "How do you know that this is not an
issue with the GIMP?"  Glad you asked :)

5. I scanned the same photo, using the same scanner, at 300dpi, just like in
steps 1 and 2 above.  The only difference being I accessed "XSane" from the
GIMP.   I saved the image as a jpeg: resulting file size - 4.4 MB
6. I then opened it up in the GIMP and checked the resolution, using the same
method mentioned in steps 2 and 4 above.  The result was 300dpi.  Which is
what it should be.

Also, I forgot to mention, the "dimensions" of both images that I scanned at
300dpi were 2544 x 3508.  But, the files sizes were 444.4 KB and 4.4 MB.
Relating to what I said earlier, even though the "dimensions" of each image
were identical, the resolution was reported as being radically different, and
I think this is confirmed by the extremely divergent file sizes.  In other
images that I scanned this morning - since discovering this potential issue -
the dpi that I scan with using XSane is always reported as being exactly what
I set it to be.  In contrast, all images that I scanned using Kooka are
always reported as being 72dpi.  I can set it to 50, 300, 600, 720: it makes
no difference.  And always, the filesize is additional evidence that the dpi
is not merely being reported incorrectly by any applications that I am using.

Here are links to both images that I scanned at 300dpi this morning:
http://12.203.241.24/steve/.kde/share/apps/ScanImages/Bishop_And_Evangelist_Wade_-_Kooka.jpg
http://12.203.241.24/steve/.kde/share/apps/ScanImages/Bishop_And_Evangelist_Wade_-_XSane.jpg

Also, in both cases, I set jpeg quality to 100.

Well that's all I have right now
Steven P. Ulrick
--
 06:22:28 up 28 days, 23:29,  1 user,  load average: 3.52, 3.59, 3.86