List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kdm and Xservers file (was: Re: bugs.kde.org offline due to kde 3.4
From:       Torsten Kasch <tk () cebitec ! uni-bielefeld ! de>
Date:       2005-03-17 7:33:23

Hi,

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 23:07, Mathias Homann wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 16. März 2005 22:02 schrieb Mathias Homann:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here's a real baddie with kde 3.4:
> >
> > For no reason, kdm, when started from init scripts, starts X on vt2
> > instead of vt7 as configured in /etx/X11/xdm/Xservers :(
> > thus, keyboard doesn't work. hence, no login. and, worse, no switching to
> > tty1 to login in textmode to give kdm a restart (after which it behaves
> > normally, it starts on vt7 as configured.)
> >
> > any hints?
>
> gah. damn suse. its NOT kde's fault (unless you count the drastic measure
> that kdm happily ignores the Xservers file as a fault [which i DO]).

Well, although it's noted in kdebase/kdm/ChangeLog, I do not like this either.
I was looking forward to introduce kdm when updating our site to KDE 3.4 but
since we provide ~200 SunRay appliances as the users' desktops, kdm isn't an
option anymore. :-( The SunRay server software creates and maintains an
Xservers file that has to be reread by the display manager when HUPed. And at
least in a "fail over group" with multiple server machines there doesn't seem
to be a workaround...

cheers,
 Torsten