List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2005-03-13 22:33:14

> From: Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever@tin.it>
>
> Even if I weren't lazy, I would *still* not have that freedom. Please
> let me repeat the paragraph you quoted away:
>
>      I am asking for the freedom to join other people and, together,
>      sponsor the developement of a feature we need.
>
> Suppose I am not lazy, and I contact people myself, via newsgroups,
> email, etc. This still does not give me the above freedom. I don't
> have that freedom until KDE (or someone else) gives me a structure, a
> system, that allows me to:

Pardon me for interrupting, but you *DO* have that freedom! There is
nothing that is stopping you from doing it but your own "lazyness".
Just go out and join with other people, and together, sponsor the
development! It's how the world works.

> 1. gives me the certainty that my money will be used to develop that
> feature.

Nothing in life is ever certain. But on the bright side, you don't have
to pay out your "sponsorship" if you can't find someone to do the
development for you. There is no need to gamble with your money.

The only way to guarantee the certainty you want is to eliminate the
freedom and liberty of developers. You may not coerce anyone to your
will, because that is the opposite of freedom.

> 2. allows me to put money on a precise feature,

Nothing is stopping you from doing this.

> 3. lets me see the overall donation reached so far, manages the
> threshold,

This is irrelevant to your joining with other people. If you don't like
the people you have joined with because they aren't disclosing the
accounting in the manner in which you would like, find another group to
join with.

> 4. managing credit cards and secure transactions.

Again, irrelevant. This has NOTHING to do with your freedom. Find a
group that manages this if your present associations do not.

> Until all that is available, I don't have that freedom. Lazyness is
> not the point. Looking forward to your opinion,

You have a very strange definition of freedom. Freedom is the lack of
restriction, but what you want is restriction. Restriction on how we
can develop, restriction on how people can interact, restriction on how
money is raised, restriction on how funds are disbursed, restriction on
how programming is directed, etc.

--
David Johnson