List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-13 21:18:58

On Sunday 13 March 2005 21:42, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Stephan Binner wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 March 2005 21:20, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> >>maybe he complains because the feature should have been done years ago?
> > According to what scale?

"Should" implies a lot more direction, coordination, and management /
leadership than we actually have. "Should" implies that there is a moral
obligation on the developer to implement that feature in spite of his own
time constraints or other inclinations. And one of the tenets -- nay,
unassailable dogma -- of OSS production is that developers are in this mostly
for fun.

> I am confident that, with a new donation system, KDE would not loose
> developers (because noone would be forced to accept an offer; you are free
> to keep up coding like you do now). On the contrary, we would slowly *gain*

I'm terribly confused about what you _want_ by now.

Users can add comments to bugs, saying things like "I'll pay 50 bucks for
this". Sure, that's hard(er) to search for than for votes, but it's a
_possibility_ to offer money for work on something specific. A brief search
of bugs.kde.org shows me that this has not been done in any bug.

If you want to put the effort into adding a feature to bugzilla that people
can also vote with dollars (or rials, or yuan, whatever), put the effort in
there.

If you want a clearing house, here, I've got a tailor-made solution:

Send money by paypal to groot@kde.org. Every time a donation arrives for a
specific feature, I'll tally it up and post to kde-devel@kde.org that there
is so much money (less Paypal fees, graft, shrinkage, etc.) available for
that specific bug. If a bug with a money amount attached is closed, I will
try to find out who fixed it and send them the money (if they want it).
Unclaimed money will be sent to the eV. Dupes get the money amount merged.
And I'm sure there will be lots of stupid, time-consuming rules to think up
for dealing with this. I'll get around to it, maybe.

Go on, trust me. I know what I'm doing.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot