List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       André_Somers <a.t.somers () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2005-03-13 16:30:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 13 March 2005 16:28, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> I can reformulate this in term of *freedom*, if you like. I am only asking
> to be given a freedom:
>
>      The freedom to join other people and, *together*, sponsor the
>      developement of a feature we need.
>
> Currently, I do *not* have this freedom. Of course, *in theory*, nobody
> prevents me from contacting other people by mail and privately decide to
> cofund something. But *in practice* this is too difficult. In practice, I
> won't have that freedom until I have a system that makes it *reasonably
> easy* for me to contact other people and *together* cofund a feature.
So, if you really think this is a good idea, why don't you set up some
brokering system yourself? You can let people make bids for
features/fixes/whatever, and developers can offer to implement them for
amount x in timespan y. Users can up the total bid by adding a bit or raising
theirs, and developers can lower their price or offer a price or timespan
lower than the one(s) allready offered by others. Once these bids and offers
meet, there would be a deal. This could (and IMHO, should) stay completely
outside of the official KDE infrastructure.

Of course, there never is any guarantee that the feature/fix will be
integrated into the main distribution. That is decided just as it is now. I
think that as long as the requests are reasonable, this should not be too big
a problem in practice. It could even be the offering developers
responsibility to make sure a patch would be accepted beforehand, by
confering via the usual channels if the requested feature would be acceptable
and what standards should be met to have it accepted in the codebase before
making the offer in the brokering system.

In short: Maurizio, you *do* have the freedom to set up something like this,
and who knows, it might even work. You could even make it a little enterprise
of your own, by charging a small commission per closed deal, if only to cover
your hosting costs.
I do think it would be wise to leave the KDE project as such out of it.

André
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
-- Ashleigh Brilliant