List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2005-03-13 15:28:07

Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> Finally, if anybody is really *that* desparate about getting some code
> written, they should pay a contractor. There are more than enough out there
> and you'll find that they will gladly let *you* define featuresets and
> priorities as long as you can pay their hourly wage rate.

Michael, you are missing the crucial point:

    No single person can sponsor a feature by himself but, *together*, it
    would be possible.

That's why I proposed to give users a simple way to *join* their forces.
Nothing more than that.

I can reformulate this in term of *freedom*, if you like. I am only asking to
be given a freedom:

     The freedom to join other people and, *together*, sponsor the
     developement of a feature we need.

Currently, I do *not* have this freedom. Of course, *in theory*, nobody
prevents me from contacting other people by mail and privately decide to
cofund something. But *in practice* this is too difficult. In practice, I
won't have that freedom until I have a system that makes it *reasonably easy*
for me to contact other people and *together* cofund a feature.

Notice that giving me this freedom does *not* hurt your freedoms at all. The
GPL is there to protect them. So what are you complaining about? What exactly
is that you fear? That the KDE community would grow larger? I don't
understand. Some posts in this thread seem completely paranoid to me. :-)

Maurizio