List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-12 10:02:55

Maurizio Colucci wrote:

> Mathias Homann wrote:

> 1. I file a bug (say "side bar with recent folders history");
>

> 2. Some developer (Jack) decides to take car of the task, and says:
>
>     "I can implement this feature in 3 months for 5000$. I declare
>      donations open. Donations close in 20 days, on September 6 2005.
>
> 3. People begin donating freely.
>
> 4. After 20 days, on September 6 2005:
>
>     (a)  if the 5000$ threshold was reached, Jack begins working, and he
>          *must* deliver within 3 months.
>
>     (b)  if the 5000$ were not reached, the money is refunded to the
>     donators
>          (or at least it because reusable for other tasks).

5. I, as the maintainer of application X, inform Jack that his patch will
not be accepted because it's not of a quality that's acceptable to me, and
I'm not sure that I agree with the feature anyway.

6. Jack gets angry because he was counting on paying his next couple months
rent with that money.

7. Jack leaves the KDE project in frustration, etc...

The problem with systems like this is that they also assume more or less
uniform responsiveness to money.  Myself, well, generally speaking I don't
care about money for my KDE work (as I have a full time job).

This also assumes that developers are interchangeable and gets developers
competing to implement some feature or another.

Generally speaking commercial structures don't work well in non-commercial
organizations.  It's best going up one level to the companies that offer
KDE development services and have structures in place for handling such
things.

-Scott