List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Allow money donations for precise bugs
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-12 16:28:16

On Saturday 12 March 2005 16:41, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 12 March 2005 12:37, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > Currently, in bugs.kde.org, I can *vote* for some bugs or new features.
> > My idea is to allow KDE users and fans to put their *money* in place of
> > abstract "votes".
>
> the more i think about this, the more problems i see it creating. "people
> paying for bad features" is the least of them IMHO. there's issues of who
> decides when it's "done"; there's issues of code quality; there's issues of

In particular, there's no one (well, Carlos maybe, or the eV) who could
effectively play the role of "banker", collecting pledges before the code is
done. If you were to ask me, I would say "your word is your bond, and I'll
take the money when it's done" -- and trust users to put their money where
their mouths are.

In my 7 years of hacking so far, it has happened exactly *once* that someone
said "I'll pay 50 bucks for such-and-so." And he did, and George M. still has
my thanks for that. Once. Maybe I'm in the wrong branch of KDE, though.

> and yet it seems like an intuitive idea. one that could work if only
> tweaked in some way... so how about this scenario:
>
> a concerned and excited group of KDE fans create a Friends of KDE that
> other people could join for $N/year or month or whatever for which they get

We have such a thing .. it's the eV, a charitable (?) organization in Germany.
They might not hand out little cards, though.

> if people don't like how the existing development is going, i don't see how
> their $20 is going to change that. if they do like how it is going and
> would like to say "thank you" and even help it go smoother and faster, then
> i can see that $20 helping.

Aye. Your pledge of $20, or Matt's pledge of a beer if ever we meet, is
incentive for me to work on something. But just that .. incentive. Not a big
stick with a nail in it. The fun is an incentive too.

That's to say, I'm not opposed to getting money sometimes for what I do, but
I'm not in the business of being employed to do KDE stuff. Some folks might
want to be that -- take the Kontact shopping page, for instance -- but that's
very much an individual decision.

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot