Hi Maurizio, I like the idea, but I am pretty shure that a company like MS would donate a lot of money to skip a few good options in KDE. How would you handle such situations? In my opinion we shouldn't let money rule. However, I agree that *normal* users should be aware of the *possibility* to influence the development of KDE. Maybe this could be an important marketing instrument in the sense of one of earlier topics. On the other hand: why let people without knowledge, (and maybe enough money), decide what to do? In the case of user-options it could work, but not at the system-level. I am a "normal" user myself, coming from the MS-world and still looking for a way to donate (active, not financially) to the OS-community. That is also the reason I'm on this list. - Boudewijn (Excuses for my Dutch English?) On Saturday 12 March 2005 08:37, Maurizio Colucci wrote: > Dear friends, > > I apologize in advance for the cross-post but it seems adequate here, as this > proposal involves users and developers. > > > IN BRIEF > -------- > > Currently, in bugs.kde.org, I can *vote* for some bugs or new features. My > idea is to allow KDE users and fans to put their *money* in place of abstract > "votes". > > I mean, allowing users to donate money for implementing a *precise* feature > or fixing a *precise* bug. > > > IN DETAIL > --------- > > The idea is that > > 1. everyone can donate freely for any feature separately (or not donate at all). > > 2. when, and if, the *overall* donation for a given feature reaches a certain > threshold, that feature is *guaranteed* to be implemented. > > I am still not sure who should define the threshold and, once the threshold > is reached, who would decide which programmer is to take care of the task. > > But first, please let me discuss the important reasons behind this proposal. > > THE PHILOSOPHY BEHIND THIS > -------------------------- > > Why am I proposing this? The recent article from Eugenia about Gnome ignoring > their users (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=9933) made me think it's > the right time to propose what I've been thinking for a while. > > In the article, Eugenia correctly points out that OSS projects tend to ignore > the needs of *ordinary* users: currently the OSS model tends to favour the > needs of *corporate* customers (because corporations such as IBM or Novell > put the money for those features), and those of *power* users (because they > program the features they themselves). But the needs of *ordinary* home users > are not respected as much. They often tend to be ignored (although KDE is > surely better than Gnome in this respect). > > So Eugenia is right here. But, IMHO, her error is to assume that this lack of > respect for the need of ordinary users _is the developers' fault_. Instead, I > think it is the *users* fault; I think users are still not as _responsible_ > and self-aware to get together and *directly* finance the features they want. > > Consumers are not yet a responsible community and they have no awareness of > themeselves as a big power. This is exactly why the world today is dominated > by corporations. > > Just for an example, I would pay quite a lot to have a sidebar with recent > folders added to konqueror. I am sure many of us have a small amount money, > but no time to contribute code. Some of us love KDE so much that we would > happily donate some, *provided* we are guaranteed the feature to be > implemented if the threshold is reached. > > IMPROVEMENTS AND THINGS TO CLARIFY > ---------------------------------- > > As an incentive to donating, you could give an additional guarantee: > The guarantee that, if the threshold is *not* reached within X days, his > money will be given back to the donator, or at least it will be reusable to > sponsor another wish. > > ---- > > I would like to hear many opinions about that. I am posting a similar > proposal in Gnome's list. > > My best wishes to you all, > > Maurizio Colucci > > >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe << > > >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<