List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Major KHTML bug to be ignored for 3.4?
From:       Joseph Cheek <joseph () lycoris ! com>
Date:       2005-03-09 8:34:53

We (Lycoris) hard-code X (Xft, actually) to render vector fonts at 72dpi
regardless of the actual monitor dpi settings, as many of our users
complained that font quality looked poor at various different (high)
dpis but fine at lower dpis.  If 3.4 forces 96 dpi or higher, every
single Lycoris Desktop/LX user will see inordinately large fonts.

I haven't looked at the code, but it sounds like the patch might be as
simple as changing

if (DPI < 96) DPI=96;

if (DPI < 72) DPI=72; // 60?  What's a good lower limit?

Thanks!

Joe