List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Status on indexing system
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-03-05 19:48:11

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 22:33, Manuel Amador wrote:

> I need advice on how best to interface with client apps.  I'm using an
> XML-RPC server right now, both on port 2081 and on a local socket.  The

Is it running as a user process?
If yes, which user gets the port?
I guess it would be better to have user owned processes only use local sockets
in order to keep user related information secure, but you could have an
instance running for shared data and have it listen on the TC port.

> idea is that the frontend app (a kuniqueapp) runs in the systray, and
> provides a dcop interface which, in turn, will ask the xml-rpc interface
> itself, and relay results to client apps.  Would that be okay/optimum?

If it doesn't need a GUI, it could be better to create a kded module.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>