List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Source License
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-03-02 16:35:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 16:43, Allen Winter wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I noticed that many source files have a simple "License: GPL" at the top of
> the file rather than a nice license description.
>
> http://developer.kde.org/policies/licensepolicy.html says:
> "2) Each source file must contain a license or a reference to a license
> which states under which terms the software may be used, modified and
> redistributed. "
>
> Is "License: GPL" a good enough "reference to a license"

No, it's ambiguous which version of the license is meant with that and even
which license at all: if I publish tomorrow the Grand Public License (GPL),
does that mean its terms will apply to your software?

> or should we
> replace that with the typical GPL license header?  I'm doing some
> janitorial work in kdepim right now so I would be willing to make
> any necessary license changes there.

I suggest to follow the recommandations made in the GPL itself, although you
may wish to replace "either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any
later version." with "version 2" depending on how the copyright owners feel
about that aspect.

Cheers,
Waldo
--