List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Big numbers
From:       Brad Hards <bradh () frogmouth ! net>
Date:       2005-02-25 23:33:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 04:53 am, John Tapsell wrote:
>  Is there any bignum library that i can rely on existing?  I know it's
> kinda bad to have external dependancies, so if not could one be imported? I
> was thinking perhaps even import an existing library and make a nice KDE
> wrapper for it, so we have an official kde bignum library.
In kdesupport/qca, there is a library (called QCA, for the Qt Cryptographic
Architecture) that has bignum support. The library is still being worked, but
the bignum support should be OK - I've documented the API, I've done some
unit tests, and it looks mostly like you'd expect Qt to work, if it had
bignum support. Note that it is integer only, which may not be what you want,
so then you'd have to decide whether to extend QCA, or to write your own.
See http://www.frogmouth.net/qca/classQBigInteger.html

The underlying implementation is from Botan - http://botan.randombit.net/

The question of whether you can rely on it existing is a bit harder. Certainly
my goal is to have it as for KDE4 (for a lot of reasons, and kcalc wasn't one
I thought of), so you may need to extract part of the library for kcalc, if
it all turns bad.

Brad